Types of Liver Cancer We Treat at Sky Ridge Medical Center
Whether your liver cancer is primary, secondary or another type, our dedicated team of liver cancer specialists can help you through the diagnosis and treatment process.
- Primary liver cancer or hepatocellular carcinoma (HCC)
- HCC is cancer of the hepatocytes, whic are the main type of cells found in the liver. This is the most common form of liver cancer affecting adults. HCC can be found as a single tumor that grows larger or as many spots throughout the liver.
- Cholangiocarcinoma (Bile Duct Cancer)
- Also known as bile duct cancer because the cancer starts in the small tubes (bile ducts) that carry bile to the gallbladder. Bile duct cancer accounts for 1 or 2 out of every 10 cases of liver cancer.
- Angiosarcoma and Hemangiosarcoma
- Angiosarcoma and hemangiosarcoma are rare cancers that start in the blood vessels of the liver. These tumors are known to grow very quickly.
- A very rare form of liver tumors affecting children ages 4 and under. Outcomes are good when the tumors are found early. Treatment for hepatoblastoma may include surgery and chemotherapy.
- Secondary liver cancer
- This is metastatic cancer that spreads from another location in the body to the liver. Therefore the cancer did not start in the liver, but possibly in the breast, colon, lung and other areas.