Breast MRI at Sky Ridge Medical Center
MRI of the breast is not a replacement for a mammogram or ultrasound, but a supplemental tool for detecting and staging breast cancer and other breast abnormalities.
A MRI of the breast is performed to:
- Assess multiple tumor locations, especially prior to Breast conservation surgery.
- Identify early breast cancer not detected through other means, especially in women with dense breast tissue and those at high risk for the disease.
- Evaluate abnormalities detected by mammography or ultrasound.
- Distinguish between scar tissue and recurrent tumors.
- Determine whether cancer detected by mammography, ultrasound, or after surgical biopsy has spread further in the breast or into the chest wall.
- assess the effect of chemotherapy.
- Provide additional information on a diseased breast to make treatment decisions.
- Determine the integrity of breast implants.
Your doctor will determine if you need a breast MRI, and the team at Sky Ridge will help you get it scheduled.