Benefits vs. Risks of a Nerve Block Injection
Nerve Block Benefits
- Temporary pain relief
- Temporary reduction of inflammation in the region of the spine causing pain
- May help the doctor identify a more specific cause of pain
- Better ability to function in daily life without the restrictions previously caused by pain
Nerve Block Risks
- Infection at the injection site
- Accidental delivery of medication into the blood stream
- Unexpected spread of medication to other nerves
- Hitting the "wrong" nerve in an attempt to block the targeted nerve, if the nerves are close together
When fluoroscopy or CT is used, there will be minimal low-level radiation.
Women should always inform their doctor and X-ray technologist if there is any possibility that they are pregnant. Radiation is not good for the fetus to radiation. If an X-ray is necessary, precautions will be taken to minimize radiation exposure to the baby.