Benefits vs Risks of a Carotid Ultrasound
Carotid Ultrasound Benefits
- Most ultrasound scanning is noninvasive (no needles or injections) and is usually painless.
- Ultrasound is widely available, easy-to-use and less expensive than other imaging methods.
- Ultrasound imaging uses no ionizing radiation.
- Ultrasound scanning gives a clear picture of soft tissues that do not show up well on x-ray images.
- Ultrasound causes no health problems and may be repeated as often as is necessary.
- If a carotid ultrasound shows narrowing of one or both carotid arteries, treatment can be taken to restore the free flow of blood to the brain. Many strokes are prevented as a result.
Carotid Ultrasound Risks
- For standard diagnostic ultrasound there are no known harmful effects on humans.
- Carotid ultrasound has proved to be a risk-free procedure for in nearly 50 years of use.