Ultrasound images of the musculoskeletal system provide pictures of muscles, tendons, ligaments, joints and soft tissue throughout the body.
Ultrasound images are typically used to help diagnose:
- Abnormalities of the muscles, such as tears and soft-tissue masses.
- Bleeding or other fluid collections within the muscles, bursae and joints.
- Early changes of rheumatoid arthritis.
- Small benign and malignant soft tissue tumors.
- Tendon tears, such as tears of the rotator cuff in the shoulder or Achilles tendon in the ankle.