Benefits vs Risks of an Obstetrical Ultrasound
Obstetrical Ultrasound Benefits
- Most ultrasound scanning is noninvasive (no needles or injections) and is usually painless.
- Ultrasound is widely available, easy-to-use and less expensive than other imaging methods.
- Ultrasound imaging uses no ionizing radiation.
- Ultrasound scanning gives a clear picture of soft tissues that do not show up well on X-rays.
- Ultrasound causes no health problems and may be repeated as often as is necessary.
- Ultrasound is the preferred imaging modality for the diagnosis and monitoring of pregnant women and their unborn babies.
- Ultrasound has been used to evaluate pregnancy for nearly four decades and there has been no evidence of harm to the patient, embryo or fetus. Nevertheless, ultrasound should be performed only when clinically indicated.
- Ultrasound allows the doctor to see inside the uterus and provides much information about the pregnancy.
Obstetrical Ultrasound Risks
- For standard diagnostic ultrasound there are no known harmful effects on humans.