Chest X-ray Benefits vs. Risks
Chest X-ray Benefits
- No radiation remains in a patient's body after an x-ray examination.
- X-rays usually have no side effects in the diagnostic range.
- X-ray equipment is relatively inexpensive and widely available in emergency rooms, physician offices, ambulatory care centers, nursing homes and other locations, making it convenient for both patients and physicians.
- Because x-ray imaging is fast and easy, it is particularly useful in emergency diagnosis and treatment.
Chest X-ray Risks
- There is always a slight chance of cancer from excessive exposure to radiation. However, the benefit of an accurate diagnosis far outweighs the risk.
- Women should always inform their doctor or X-ray techniciant if there is any possibility that they are pregnant.
The chest X-ray has one of the lowest radiation exposure levels of any medical imaging studies performed today. The effective radiation dose is about the same as the average person receives from background radiation in 10 days.
Minimizing Radiation Exposure
Special care is taken to use the lowest radiation dose possible while producing the best X-ray images. At Sky Ridge, we follow national and international radiology protection council standards.
Modern-day X-ray machines have tightly controlled X-ray beams that filter the beams and control the dose of radiation. This ensures that parts of a patient's body not being imaged receive minimal radiation exposure.